If you are one who loves to eat seafood, then nothing will replace the prawn recipe. When it comes to authenticity, then Kerala is best known for authentic recipes in both vegetation and non-vegetarian.
Authentic Kerala prawn curry recipe is a stable item in south Indian cooking which is a blend of both spices and rich flavours.
In this article, we will give you instructions to make an authentic Kerala prawn curry recipe to impress your loved ones.
|Recipe Name||Authentic Kerala Prawn Curry Recipe|
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
|Total Time||50 minutes|
- 1 Ingredients with measurements
- 2 How to Make an Authentic Kerala Prawn Curry Recipe: Step-by-Step Guide
- 3 Tips and variations
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 FAQs
Ingredients with measurements
To make an authentic Kerala prawn curry recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 500 grams of fresh prawns (cleaned and deveined)
- 1 onion, chopped into small pieces
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tomato, chopped into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 Tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 Tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 Tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 Tablespoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
It is important to prepare ingredients before you start cooking. Clean and devein prawns and soak temp in water. Chop onions, green chillies, coriander leaves and tomato.
If ginger garlic paste is unavailable, make fresh ginger and garlic paste in a motor or food processor.
How to Make an Authentic Kerala Prawn Curry Recipe: Step-by-Step Guide
You have prepared all the ingredients.it is time to start cooking.
Step 1: Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil on medium flame in a pan. Add 1 cup chopped onion, green chillies and sauté in oil until onion gets a golden brown colour.
Step 2: Now add ginger and 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste to the pan and stir them for a minute.
Step 3: Add 1 Cup of chopped tomatoes and cook them until they become soft and mushy.
Step 4: After tomatoes becoming soft add dry spices -turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, chilli powder, and garam masala powder one spoon each and stir them and cook for 1–2 minutes.
Step 5: Now add 500 grams of cleaned and deveined prawns to the pan and mix them well and cook them for 3–5 minutes until prawns turn into pink.
Step 6: Once the prawns get cooked now add one cup coconut milk and half cup tamarind juice in the pan. Bring curry to simmer and cook for 5–7 minutes until prawns fully cook.
Step 7: Add salt to taste and garnish it with coriander leaves and serve with lemon slices with rice or bread
I like curries after storing in a refrigerator with their consistency.
- Store leftover curry in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. it will stay fresh for 2–3 days.
- Reheat on low flame or microwave for 1–2 minutes and serve it to your family.
Tips and variations
Here are some of the tips and variations which will help you to make perfect Kerala prawn curry.
- If you don’t have fresh prawns you can use frozen prawns but keep in mind to thaw them before you start cooking
- If you like more spicy, then adjust the amount of chilli powder and green chillies.
- To make prawns curry more nutritious you can add bell pepper, carrots, or potatoes.
Kerala style prawns curry is a delicious and flavourful dish which is easily made at home. If you are planning for a dinner party at your home with your friends and family, then try the Authentic Kerala prawns curry recipe.
It is easy to make and guaranteed to impress your guests, .so give it a try and comment your feedback in the comment section.
Can you substitute canned coconut milk for coconut milk?
Yes, you can substitute canned milk for fresh coconut milk in many recipes If it is not available. Canned coconut milk is creamier and thick than fresh coconut milk, so it is important to adjust the quantity in the curry.
What is Malabar sauce made of?
Malabar sauce is a type of creamy and spicy sauce which is made in the Malabar region of Kerala state.it is made with tomatoes, coconut milk, onion, ginger garlic paste along with blend of some Indian spices.
How do you keep prawns soft in a curry?
If you want to keep your prawns soft in the curry, don’t overcook them .if you overcook it will become hard and rubbery. Add prawns at the end of the process.
Do we put curd in prawns and fish curry?
Curd is not used in the prawns and fish curry in the Kerala cuisines, but curd is used in most of the regions like Delhi and Mumbai to get a tangy flavour in curry.
Can I drink milk after eating prawns?
There is no medical evidence for this. it is only a myth. Because of digestive discomforts like gas and bloating, some people will not drink milk after eating.